Friday, May 9, 2008

World of Women

"Over the past two years I have made several trips with the UN World Food Program to poor, developing countries."

"These pictures are just a few of the images I have brought back with me. One thing that has struck me most on my travels has been my encounters with women from different backgrounds and cultures, and it is through them that I have discovered new meaning about what it is to be a woman. The women I have photographed live in impoverished situations where the fight for basic needs is a daily one. Yet the kindness they have shown me, a mere visitor into their reality, has been immense. In Guatemala, it was a woman who invited me into her tidy mud hut to show me how she prepares her family’s meals everyday. In Cambodia, a woman cried to me out of anguish about her husband infecting her and her newly born son with AIDS. In Sri Lanka, I saw women banning together in the face of the 2005 Tsunami disaster." Link

By Lauren Bush

No comments: